Monday, February 14, 2011

The Three Rules of Epidemics

After reading this chapter on "The Three Rules of Epidemics" and our class discussion regarding this, I think the Stickiness Factor is what applies most to my work with students.  I, originally, thought that the "stickiness" would be based on some type of response or saying that I used with my students like the Winston commercial.  After our discussion, I realized that there are other ways of "making it stick" with students.  For example, using humor, respect, reward or simply caring will work.  I probably use the humor and caring most.  I find that many of the kids that I work with are often the behavior problems or the struggling student in their class.  These kids need the caring  - caring how well they do, showing I am there to help them do better and praise for a job well done.  As for using humor, I can, sometimes, steer a child away from a melt-down by adding a little humor.  They start to smile or laugh and we are able to move on.  This doesn't always work but certainly worth a try! :) In my position, I don't do a lot of rewarding.  I find that they tend to expect a "prize" and are not willing to work their hardest unless they get the promise of one.  I am more apt to surprise them with a reward more randomly ...a cookie for Valentine's, a Hershey's Kiss to say thanks for working hard., etc.  By doing this, there is not a promise of reward....except the personal reward of working hard and getting a good grade.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. You do show that you care about the kids you work with. I witness time and time again when you are laughing and joking with them. I thought it was very touching when you gave a student a Valentines gift today. She was sure pleased with it. You even took the time to wrap it up in beautiful paper. I can tell that the students enjoy working with you, you should be proud.

    ReplyDelete